Privacy Working Group
The Attorney General’s Office, in coordination with the Department of Public Service, is holding a series of hearings to discuss potential recommendations for privacy legislation that will further protect Vermont’s citizens. Three meetings have been scheduled so far:
- Monday, August 6, 2018, 9 AM to 12 PM – 29 Church Street, 3rd Floor in Burlington, Vermont (best entrance for the public is located at 110 Cherry Street)
- Tuesday, September 25, 2018, 1 PM to 4 PM – Vt Department of Health Building, 118 Prospect Street, Ste 300, White River Junction, Vermont
- Thursday, November 15, 2018, 5:30 PM to 8:30 PM – Pavilion Building, 109 State Street, 3rd Floor, Montpelier, Vermont
The Agenda for the meetings includes:
- Adoption of regulations concerning telecommunications privacy and whether to model such rules after the FCC’s 2016 Privacy Order, WC Docket No. 16-106, FCC 16-148, adopted Oct. 27, 2016. The request for this recommendation was made in Act 66 of 2017.
- Whether Vermont should designate a Chief Privacy Officer, and what the responsibilities of that Officer would be. This request was made in Act 171 of 2018.
- Whether to regulate businesses that handle the data of consumers with whom they have a direct relationship, as requested in Act 171.
- Questions, concerns, and recommendations regarding the implementation of the Data Broker Registry, as authorized in Act 171.
- Additional approaches to protecting the privacy and data security of Vermonters.