en English
ar Arabiczh-CN Chinese (Simplified)nl Dutchen Englishfr Frenchde Germanit Italianpt Portugueseru Russianes Spanish

Office of the Vermont Attorney General

Medicaid Fraud & Residential Abuse Unit

The Vermont Medicaid Fraud Residential Abuse Unit investigates and prosecutes crimes against patients, elders, and vulnerable adults receiving services paid for by Medicaid. It also prosecutes fraud against the Medicaid system by individuals or companies who provide services, Medicaid-reimbursed goods, as well as incidents of fraud in the administration of Medicaid. The team includes attorneys, investigators, auditors and a program technician.

MFRAU receives 75 percent of its funding from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services under a grant award totaling $1,041,816 for Federal fiscal year FY 2021. The remaining 25 percent, totaling $347,272 for FY 2021, is funded by the State of Vermont.

How Do I…

Learn more about Medicaid Fraud or report suspected fraud?

Learn about or report a concern about physical or emotional abuse, neglect or theft related to Medicaid-provided services?

Request or access training and educational programs on topics related to this Unit?

Drug Diversion in Vermont: When Healing Hands Harm

Click here to request a copy of the video.

There is a widespread national problem of health care professionals addicted to opiates intended for their patients’ pain management. Four local case studies of individuals prosecuted for diverting prescription medications for personal purposes are presented in interviews with the former addicts, health care administrators, representatives of the criminal justice system, and with the widow of a victim of the drug diversions. Funded by a grant from the U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services Office of the Inspector General and the State of Vermont.

For the full length film or more information, contact 802-828-5511

Medicaid Fraud Annual Report