Medicaid Fraud & Residential Abuse Unit
The Medicaid Fraud and Residential Abuse Unit (MFRAU) investigates and prosecutes:
- fraud by healthcare providers in the Vermont Medicaid program;
- fraud in the administration of the Vermont Medicaid program;
- the abuse, neglect, and financial exploitation of individuals who live in Vermont skilled nursing facilities and board and care facilities; and,
- abuse and neglect in “noninstitutional” settings where the abuse/neglect involved a Medicaid recipient. The alleged abuse or neglect must have occurred in connection with the provision of the Medicaid services.
MFRAU is designated as the Medicaid Fraud Control Unit for the State of Vermont and is housed within the Criminal Division of the Attorney General’s Office. MFRAU has both criminal and civil enforcement powers, prosecuting criminal charges and bringing affirmative civil claims on behalf of the State to enforce Vermont’s laws. MFRAU also works on cases arising under the Vermont False Claims Act involving Medicaid Fraud.
MFRAU receives 75 percent of its funding from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services under a grant award totaling $1,127,468 for Federal fiscal year FY 2023. The remaining 25 percent, totaling $375,823 for FY 2023, is funded by the State of Vermont.
Click here to Learn more about Medicaid Fraud
Click here to Learn more about Residential Abuse
Click here to Report Medicaid Fraud or Residential Abuse
Or email us at email@example.com
or call us at (802) 828-5511
Drug Diversion in Vermont: When Healing Hands Harm
There is a widespread national problem of health care professionals addicted to opiates intended for their patients’ pain management. Four local case studies of individuals prosecuted for diverting prescription medications for personal purposes are presented in interviews with the former addicts, health care administrators, representatives of the criminal justice system, and with the widow of a victim of the drug diversions. Funded by a grant from the U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services Office of the Inspector General and the State of Vermont. For more information, or to request a copy of the video, please click here or call MFRAU at (802) 828-5511.
Link To: Vermont Attorney General’s Elder Protective Initiative
Link To: Comparing Nursing Homes, Assisted Living Residences, and Residential Care Homes in Vermont Consumer Guide
Link To: Long Term Care Ombudsman Program
Link To: Department of Vermont Health Access
Medicaid Fraud Annual Report
- 2018 Vermont Medicaid Fraud & Residential Abuse Unit Annual Report July 1, 2017 – June 30, 2018
- 2017 Vermont Medicaid Fraud & Residential Abuse Unit Annual Report July 1, 2016 – June 30, 2017
- 2016 Vermont Medicaid Fraud & Residential Abuse Unit Annual Report July 1, 2015 – June 30, 2016