Privacy Working Group
The Attorney General’s Office, in coordination with the Department of Public Service, held a series of hearings in the summer and fall of 2018 to discuss potential recommendations for privacy legislation that would further protect Vermont’s citizens. Three public hearings were held in Burlington, White River Junction, and Montpelier. Videos of the hearings can be found here.
The Agenda for the meetings included:
- Adoption of regulations concerning telecommunications privacy and whether to model such rules after the FCC’s 2016 Privacy Order, WC Docket No. 16-106, FCC 16-148, adopted Oct. 27, 2016. The request for this recommendation was made in Act 66 of 2017.
- Whether Vermont should designate a Chief Privacy Officer, and what the responsibilities of that Officer would be. This request was made in Act 171 of 2018.
- Whether to regulate businesses that handle the data of consumers with whom they have a direct relationship, as requested in Act 171.
- Questions, concerns, and recommendations regarding the implementation of the Data Broker Registry, as authorized in Act 171.
- Additional approaches to protecting the privacy and data security of Vermonters.