en English
ar Arabiczh-CN Chinese (Simplified)nl Dutchen Englishfr Frenchde Germanit Italianpt Portugueseru Russianes Spanish

Office of the Vermont Attorney General

What is Residential Abuse?

What can I do if I suspect someone is being or has been neglected or abused? Call the local law enforcement and in a medical emergency call 911. In addition, you can also reach out to Adult Protective Services (APS) at (800) 564-1612.

It is essential to report neglect and abuse to the appropriate authorities. Neglect and abuse require immediate intervention. In addition to a verbal report to law enforcement, follow the link below to follow-up online.

How do I know if it’s abuse?

Here are some types and signs of abuse, neglect, or financial exploitation and theft:

Abuse includes

Physical abuse:

    • Excessive force in treatment or therapy;
    • Unnecessary contact or nonconsensual sexual contact by a care provider;
    • Hitting, shoving, shaking;
    • Use of physical restraints or chemical restraints;
    • Drug theft (also known as drug diversion) depriving patient of medicine by converting it for caregiver’s use.

Emotional abuse:

    • Intimidation by yelling, humiliation, habitual blaming, harsh treatment Ignoring patient’s needs, isolation from friends or family, scaring patient.

Neglect includes deprivation or excessive delay by a care provider of food, water, medication, medical services, shelter, clothing, heat or cooling.

Financial exploitation is the misappropriation of someone else’s property or identity, in this case a vulnerable adult receiving care under the Medicaid program. It may include falsifying claims or using access to a patient’s personal accounts to divert funds to the care provider.

Click here to Report Medicaid Fraud or Residential Abuse
Or email us at ago.mfraureport@vermont.gov
or call us at (802) 828-5511