Skip to main content

Former Assisted Living Activities Director Charged with Exploitation and Larceny

March 29, 2024

The Attorney General’s Office announced that Lilac Rain Brown-Fisher, 28, of Essex Junction, Vermont, was charged yesterday with one count of felony Grand Larceny, one count of felony of Larceny from a Person, and one count of felony Financial Exploitation of a Vulnerable Adult.

The Attorney General’s Medicaid Fraud and Residential Abuse Unit (MFRAU) brought the charges, alleging that Ms. Brown-Fisher, who was formerly an Activities Director at Maple Ridge Memory Care in Essex Junction, stole valuables and keepsakes from at least one elderly and disabled client. A joint investigation by the Essex Police Department and South Burlington Police Department, with the assistance of Maple Ridge’s management, was initiated when a family member of a resident of Maple Ridge Memory Care noticed that an heirloom ring had disappeared. The ring was later recovered, but the investigation revealed more instances of Ms. Brown-Fisher stealing jewelry from other clients at Maple Ridge Memory Care. Further charges are anticipated as MFRAU identifies those additional victims and contacts their families.

Ms. Brown-Fisher pleaded not guilty at her arraignment on March 28, 2024, in Vermont Superior Court, Chittenden Unit Criminal Division. The Court, Judge Kevin Griffin presiding, ordered conditions of release, including that Ms. Brown-Fisher has no contact with Maple Ridge residents or employees other than through counsel for the purpose of legal representation.

Financial Exploitation of a Vulnerable Adult carries a maximum penalty of up to ten years imprisonment and/or a fine of not more than $10,000. Grand Larceny carries a maximum penalty of not more than ten years imprisonment and/or a fine of not more than $5,000. Larceny from a Person carries a maximum penalty of up to ten years imprisonment and/or a fine of not more than $500.

If you suspect anyone is being or has been exploited, neglected, or abused, contact local law enforcement immediately. Elder exploitation, neglect, and abuse may also be reported to Adult Protective Services by calling 800-564-1612 and MFRAU at

The Attorney General’s Office emphasizes that individuals charged with a crime are legally presumed innocent until their guilt is proven beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law.

MFRAU receives 75 percent of its funding from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services under a grant award totaling $1,229,616 for federal fiscal year 2024. The remaining 25 percent, totaling $409,870 for federal fiscal year 2024, is funded by the State of Vermont.



CONTACT:   Lauren Jandl, Chief of Staff, 802-828-3171