Skip to main content

Vermont Attorney General's Elder Protection Initiative - Get Help

We’re often asked about where older Vermonters should go for help on a certain issue. Here are some resources you can use to get the assistance you need. If you don’t see what you’re looking for, you can dial 2-1-1 for assistance any time.

Guide of Help Options for Elder Abuse/Exploitation/Neglect

This guide highlights help options in VT for those experiencing elder abuse/exploitation/neglect, including hotlines/helplines, case managers and social workers, domestic violence organizations, legal advocacy organizations, and ways to report to law enforcement:


Do you have an emergency?

Are you: Hurt? Fearing for the safety of yourself or someone else? If you or another person are in an emergency call 9-1-1

Do not delay in contacting emergency services if you have a health or safety emergency.


Vermont 2-1-1Looking for agencies, programs, services or resources? Get help with:





Public Benefits


If you have any other questions about what kinds of programs or services are available in your town or area, dial 2-1-1 or visit Vermont 2-1-1’s  webpage.


Do you want to report concerns of elder abuse, neglect, exploitation, or deceptive business tactics or scams?

What do you want to do?

Who should you call?

Do you want to report elder abuse, neglect or exploitation (physical or financial)?



Do BOTH of these:

1st:  Call your local or state police so that they can begin investigating and responding to the potential crime.


2nd: Call Adult Protective Services at 1-800-564-1612. APS has different powers & responsibilities than the police, and can only take action if the victim legally qualifies as a “vulnerable adult.”


Do you want to report Medicaid fraud?

Call 1-802-828-5511 (Attorney General Office’s Medicaid Fraud & Residential Abuse Unit.


Do you want to complain about a business or scam?


1-800-649-2424 (Attorney General Office Consumer Assistance Program)